Thread: Reporting: Community Take

Reporting: Community Take

Where do you draw the line where reporting is concerned?

Sure, we all know the obvious reasons to report: Verbal/Text abuse, intentional feeding, abusing powers and so on. But what about other things, such as how a person is playing their character - What items do they have? - Where were they in that big team fight? - What is their current level at XX Minuets?
    Will you report them if you don't agree with their set-up and are convinced it will spell defeat?

We know what we CAN report for, but what SHOULD we report for?

Here's a little hypothetical:

You're playing a co-op bot game on Passive difficulty. Your team is camping outside the enemy fountain racking up kills while the only enemy structure that remains is the Ancient.

In seconds, the enemy Ancient will be destroyed.

Before you finish, a team member uses a force staff on you while you 'AFK' camp the fountain with Sniper. You're pushed into the fountain and you die, losing your 'GODLIKE' streak as well as a 45-0 K/D. The rest of your team laugh at what has just happened.
    How do you take it?
    What do you do?
    DOTA 2 ULTIMATE README
    Updated 01/04/15

Check upcoming Dota 2 pro matches HERE

Basic Member
    i report all people who don't let me play mid, there we go i said it first !!!!!!!!

Dota2 gonna be LoL braindead , i hope you get it.

You can stop the massacre, don't report.
    Last edited by kdplol; 07-02-2013 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GorgonPistol View Post
    How do you take it?
    What do you do?
    I would call him an idiot.
    Then send a friend invite.
    Then I would play a few matches with him, waiting for that 1 moment where I can extract my sweet revenge.

I met 3 of my current friends in these kind of situations.
    You may realize that I would rather secure a fitting punishment myself than let some system mute him, how is that fun for me?
    “Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.”

If it doesn't fall under one of the reporting categories, I don't file. Handing them out because I feel grieved over one incident in a game is nonsense in my eyes.

Examples of non-report incidents:
    1. Io teleports me or another ally to a location out of play, like a high ward location, one time.
    2. "Offensive" language in chat, with reason.
    3. Dying constantly for being put in a bad situation. i.e. no miss calls, lack of wards, mid or laning against two stuns with no recourse.

If the same incidents continue throughout an entire game, I usually end up reporting.

Examples of report incidents:
    1. Io constantly teleports team out of play. That's ability abuse and causing a detriment to the team.
    2. Unwarranted vulgar language in chat or placing blame entirely on someone for the game loss without pointing out their own flaws. This helps no one and won't make you feel better.
    3. Being unhappy with the early to mid game play and throwing the game by feeding late game. GG no re. You've done a great service by earning a report there.

These are my views and are by no means something every Dota player will agree with, I don't expect it to be that way. Io is only one major example I have of ability abuse at detriment to teammates, there are plenty more that can have more dire consequences.

Basic Member
    what SHOULD we report for?
    Well, to be complete, you kinda need to add things that you wouldn't report for that are 'close to the line' as it were.

Things I would report for:
    1. insulting players (not necessarily me)
    2. intentional feeding of self or couriers
    3. requesting reports against another player in allchat (when that player's behaviour seems fine to me)
    4. Ability abuse (like Wisp/Kotl relocate etc, or Force-staffing a Gem-holder into the enemy base)

Things I wouldn't report for
    1. Buying unconventional items
    2. Being bad at Dota (dying during a team-fight etc)
    3. Someone swearing when they die. e.g. "Shit!". Note: not directed at a teammate

How do you take it?
    What do you do?
    Laugh it off. I think that fountain diving right at the very end of the game is a form of trolling both of your and the other team.

If it was a slightly different situation (say, vs human opponents, only 1 barracks was down, and I was holding a Divine Rapier which I lose). Then I might report that for ability abuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by fletcher View Post
    Just to clarify, there was never any "win rate" calculation. Ever. It is true that a goal of matchmaking is to make even teams. The matchmaker also will raise your Elo and try to put you in players of equivalent skill, which indirectly tries to get the win rate to 50%. However, it has never looked at your historical win rate and put you in a game where it knew that you were expected to lose.
    Is every post on this forum about the Dunning-Kruger effect?

i used to log on all 6 of my alt accounts and report spam them, ensuring a mute, but they ruined that. as long as you searched their recent games and reported them from a different match id each time, it counted as multiple reports. anyway, the system is so weaksauce now there really is no reason to report unless you can collaborate
    A video about all the whining about mutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ4cqShYork

Quote Originally Posted by Double_DeluXe View Post
    I would call him an idiot.
    Then send a friend invite.
    Then I would play a few matches with him, waiting for that 1 moment where I can extract my sweet revenge.

I met 3 of my current friends in these kind of situations.
    You may realize that I would rather secure a fitting punishment myself than let some system mute him, how is that fun for me?
    Personally, I think people are to easily offended.
    DOTA 2 ULTIMATE README
    Updated 01/04/15

Check upcoming Dota 2 pro matches HERE

Basic Member
    Personally, I think people are to easily offended.
    Easily butthurt wallets are a problem.

Banned
    When I win I report the worst player in the other team.
    When I lose I report the worst player in my team, if its me, I just report the guy that owned me most.
    Best method to get plenty reports back.

Almost every time I log on I get thanked for making dota better.
    Guess I must be doing something right.