Thread: New and my big disappointment

Basic Member

New and my big disappointment

I started DOTA 2, 3 days ago and this is my first MOBA.

I find awesome game with great potential.

But now things have completely shocked and disappointed :
    - An amateur official site and without multilingual forums ! The forum playdota is so old and bad ! I've never seen it from the top of my 30 years, I feel like falling in the early years of the Internet.
    - Half of the game texts are not translated
    - Depend on Steam... ! (I hate steam, it's going to authenticate to advertise other games etc. ..)
    - The channel discution in the game completely anarchic, disorganized etc ...

Basically the game itself is really great, but the social aspect around ... I've never seen him so bad!
    The social aspect is significant for me and that's what pushes me a bit to get involved in the game today.

My question is, what it is expected that all this change?

Note : I'm not English so sorry for my language.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grine View Post
    I started DOTA 2, 3 days ago and this is my first MOBA.

I find awesome game with great potential.

But now things have completely shocked and disappointed :
    - An amateur official site and without multilingual forums ! The forum playdota is so old and bad ! I've never seen it from the top of my 30 years, I feel like falling in the early years of the Internet.
    The origin of DOTA is from "amateurs" and DOTA1 is still devoloped as such. The playdota forums are fine, but they dont have staff to moderate a multilingual forum. My guess is when DOTA2 is complete (aka all features from DOTA1 are implemented) and a decision about the future of DOTA1 is reached that may change.

The game is still in development...

- Depend on Steam... ! (I hate steam, it's going to authenticate to advertise other games etc. ..)
    This will never ever ever ever change. DOTA2 is devolped by Valve and Valve runs Steam.

- The channel discution in the game completely anarchic, disorganized etc ...
    Kinda true, but its also flexible. Custimize the channels you wish to use and ignore disable the others.

Basically the game itself is really great, but the social aspect around ... I've never seen him so bad!
    The social aspect is significant for me and that's what pushes me a bit to get involved in the game today.
    There are plenty fan sites and private run communities dedicated to DOTA2, i am sure also in your preferred language. Also throwing statements like "I've never seen him so bad" around makes you look ridiculous. There are few online games with a well organized social component. I am curious if you could name any examples which also relate to the mode DOTA is played (no MMO, small teams etc.)

Basic Member
    The minimum in everything I say is extremely important for me is the official website with a "modern" forum and channel in game.

This is the basis of any project on the internet imo and this is what I call "social aspect".

Some examples : all game... seriously, LoL, SC 2...

Basic Member
    - An amateur official site and without multilingual forums !
    english is the language of the internet.
    every country has it's own community site, playdota is for everyone, so the language is english.

The forum playdota is so old and bad ! I've never seen it from the top of my 30 years, I feel like falling in the early years of the Internet.
    while i agree that the playdota forum might be a bit antiquated by now, the content is what counts and not the forum version it is presented in.

all valve games are translated by volunteers. if your language is not translated then you are the one who can change that.

that's what companies do. they link their products. dota 2 is supposed to get a lan/offline mode nevertheless.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage