Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Dota 2 for Linux

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hirsute View Post
    As plagman said, the sound problem of the OP in the issue you posted into is most likely just another symptom and not the cause. You could try running dota2 with the -nosound command line parameter and see if you still get those freezes. However, I wouldn't bet that your issue is related to his.
    Yeah, you are right. I was playing with -nosound flag for few days and didn't have any problems but... last game bug was reproduced. I've joined the game playing in cooperation with another guy. After picking hero map appeared with the same bugged behavior as I described before.
    Here's some information from console. Please, let me know if I can add more useful information (probably run with something like -debug option?).

Basic Member
    I re-read your problem description, you're saying you never have the stuttering on its own ? It always happens when you had a dota crash previously and after that, when restarting, the game is broken ? That's interesting coz when I have a crash in dota, I typically can't use the game afterwards, it gets stuck indefinitely displaying the "connecting to dota network" message, and never gives me access to matchmaking/store. It sounds like an issue where on some crashes dota leaves steam in an state from which steam can't recover. The way I solve it is that whenever I have a crash, I immediatly restart steam. It goes fast enough I can still reconnect in 5 mins without getting an abandon.

I would also advise to use the spinning hero picker instead of the grid view coz I never had a crash during the picks when using the spinner.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hirsute View Post
    I re-read your problem description, you're saying you never have the stuttering on its own ? It always happens when you had a dota crash previously and after that, when restarting, the game is broken ? That's interesting coz when I have a crash in dota, I typically can't use the game afterwards, it gets stuck indefinitely displaying the "connecting to dota network" message, and never gives me access to matchmaking/store. It sounds like an issue where on some crashes dota leaves steam in an state from which steam can't recover. The way I solve it is that whenever I have a crash, I immediatly restart steam. It goes fast enough I can still reconnect in 5 mins without getting an abandon.

I would also advise to use the spinning hero picker instead of the grid view coz I never had a crash during the picks when using the spinner.
    Last week or more freezes can appear in the middle of game. But this behavior(freeze every 1-2 seconds) 100% reproducing if I reconnect to the game(cause of crash or shut down client by myself). Btw it kinda looks as if I have bad connection. I mean that animation of creeps working, but they don't move just stuch. Also UI is not responsible during freezes. That's the main problem. And yeah, my client crashed for many times during picking hero (what causes reconnection)

Just want to congratulate the Dota 2 developers for their amazing work. Dota 2 is awesome on Linux. I haven't had a single issue, yet. I'm amazed just how well it runs on my Intel/NVIDIA hardware with the latest kernel and driver. Sometimes I forget that I'm still booted into Linux and not Windows for gaming. Not used to having graphics that look better than Super Tux Kart.
    Last edited by blackout24; 08-17-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Basic Member
    alt tab does not work on xubuntu 13.04

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by epic_fail View Post
    alt tab does not work on xubuntu 13.04
    It works. It's just disabled when you're ingame. If you go to the menu, or shift tab to the overlay it will work. Alternatively, changing desktop with ctrl+left/right or ctrl+F1/F2/F3/F4 always works.

Basic Member
    thank you

Basic Member
    Yeah, I'm also amazed by how well DOTA 2 runs on Linux at the moment. Of course there still are some small issues (like this keyboard layout issue or this sound problem), but I've played many matches against bots and with friends and everything was alright.
    ~

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weegee View Post
    like this keyboard layout issue
    as a french with an azerty keyboard I was also pretty annoyed by this issue which meant that I had to chose between native linux dota2 OR wine but there was no way to alternate coz every switch meant a keyboard reconfig. Sadly, I knew to expect it coz I had the exact same problem with tf2. It happens with every linux valve game. See linux steam #141, later moved to linux source #24 for some of the technical details. Sadly, work on creating a solution has apparently been stopped and we're kind of left in the cold.

Just wanted to share my EXP.

Amd quadcore black edition 9950, Raden HD 6870. Running in full screen mode was horrible lagging and low FPS. Switched to windowed mode and it was like cleaning a dirty mirror/window. Crystal clear with no lag. Using Ubuntu 13.04, just installed and first time user