Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Dota 2 for Linux

Basic Member
    what version Radeon driver did you install ? From the distro or from the Radeon site ?

I have a 7850, and my max FPS with all settings ON / MAX is 12, using the 13.8 beta Radeon driver.

I didn't really mess with the Radeon drivers. I am currently using the Opensource versions that comes with ubuntu.

All video settings are either off or low-medium, and I am using border less windowed at 1600x900 . When the game loads i have around 70-80 FPS in the fountain, team fights can be bad though and it probably drops down to 15-20. Passable but not great, however it looks good and is clear. When I first installed though, even the main menu looked like crap and I was stuck at around 15 fps at all times. Also using gnome layout not sure if that would effect how it looks/behaves.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustlee View Post
    I didn't really mess with the Radeon drivers. I am currently using the Opensource versions that comes with ubuntu.

All video settings are either off or low-medium, and I am using border less windowed at 1600x900 . When the game loads i have around 70-80 FPS in the fountain, team fights can be bad though and it probably drops down to 15-20. Passable but not great, however it looks good and is clear. When I first installed though, even the main menu looked like crap and I was stuck at around 15 fps at all times. Also using gnome layout not sure if that would effect how it looks/behaves.
    On Linux, I used windowed-borderless, 1920x1600 all settings low / OFF for 20 fps.

I re-installed the machine with Windows 7 x64, all settings ON / HIGH, and the fps is consistently 60.

The Linux graphics performance has a long way to go yet.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustlee View Post

You'll get 10 times better performance if you use the Catalyst driver. I'm actually surprised you got it running at a semi-playable framerate at all using the open source driver.

Basic Member
    I'm on a laptop with a i7-2630qm and a ati 6770m. The game worked quite fine on win7 on 1920x1080 but now my windows partition fucked up and i have no time to fix it.
    I am on debian jessie with awm, I have steam installed but I have the open source ati drivers, should I bother trying to download dota2? Would it be playable with the proprietary ATI drivers? How about the intel HD3000?

Basic Member
    The game should work with the proprietary drivers. Don't put too much hope on the open source driver. Your card is probably powerful enough to give a better framerate with the open source driver than the HD3000 would.
    Last edited by hirsute; 09-08-2013 at 06:22 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arte View Post
    I'm on a laptop with a i7-2630qm and a ati 6770m. The game worked quite fine on win7 on 1920x1080 but now my windows partition fucked up and i have no time to fix it.
    I am on debian jessie with awm, I have steam installed but I have the open source ati drivers, should I bother trying to download dota2? Would it be playable with the proprietary ATI drivers? How about the intel HD3000?
    You can only try it. I was using Ubuntu 13.04 and a HD5-series on-board AMD graphics , and it was impossible to play, slideshow even on slowest settings . The equivalent graphics chip with Windows XP [on an older machine I have ] is light years ahead on Dota2 game performance.

I think on Windows, the graphics driver code is closer to the hardware, on Linux they have to insert translation layers, which certainly makes it work, and it slows everything down.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeBoFour20 View Post
    You'll get 10 times better performance if you use the Catalyst driver. I'm actually surprised you got it running at a semi-playable framerate at all using the open source driver.
    Actually, for the card covered by the new Mesa r600 SB backend (my HD 6850 is one of them), the framerate is surprisingly good, compared to Windows even. Also be sure to use a newer kernel 3.11 that has new radeon power management.

Works fine with nvidia binary 325.15
    Used both wine and native, can't say I've had any critical issues, just some minor glitches.

VIVA LINUX ....