Thread: No music and some sounds missing

Basic Member

[solved] No music and some sounds missing

edit : solved 2013-08-19

I don't have any music, neither in the menu at game launch nor ingame after map load. I played with the Music Volume slider, didn't do anything.
    Otherwise, I have mostly normal sound. However some sounds seem to be missing :
    - no sound when buying an item or adding to quick-buy list. (there is however a sound when a recipe recombines items)
    - no sound during unpausing countdown

Not submiting this to github yet I'd like to be sure these issues are widespread. I installed by copy pasting the dota test folder from my wine steam install onto the native steam folder.
    Last edited by hirsute; 07-22-2013 at 05:17 AM.

Basic Member
    Sounds work fine on my end. Should've download/install correctly from dota2-linux steam client man.
    Last edited by eastblue; 07-11-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Basic Member
    Audio works well for me.

same here

Ubuntu 13.4 64 bits

Basic Member
    Turns out I had the menu music but only untill I started a game, and the game was reseting the volume to 0% all the time, so since I only noticed I had no sound after loading the map I never heard the startup music.

Still not sure why I don't have ingame music, and not getting the sound notification when an item becomes affordable is a bit inconvenient.

I had a look with GCFScape and it seems the files are there. Guess I'll byte the bullet and try redownloading everything this week end...

Basic Member
    as I feared redownloading the game did nothing.

However, yesterday another beta tester figured the cause for the graphical corruptions described in issue 36 and a workaround to solve it.

(start steam with an en_US.utf8 locale)

When I tried it I noticed that not only most of the graphical issues had disapeared, the game was now playing music ! (also the buying and unpausing sounds)

Not going to pretend I understand how that sort of things happen.

linux sounddrivers are hard to handle, alsa, pulse whatever gibberish

However good these servers are the problem with audio is confirmed. I too have a problem with the audio.

For me it lags like crazy when i recive player cards at end of a game, I have a highend system, so I am pretty sure it has to do with audio driver or "unloaded" audio files that gets loaded on the run .Realtime or whatever, hell if i know

Basic Member
    Except your problem has nothing to do with the bug I described here ?

My issue was that some sounds were not playing at all (not even trying), to put it another way : most of the game sounds were playing alright. Valve fixed it last week though.

I'd advise you create your own thread with a description of your problem and your system specs. Protip : most problems with stuttering/looping sound have to do with the system not being able to feed data to the sound card/chipset fast enough; i.e. symptoms of an overloaded CPU rather than sound bugs.

You come of as very rude

I think developers would like all sounds issues in one thread. Atleast if i was on this project I would

I am not going to bother making a thred about laggy/bugge sound that's for sure

Basic Member
    Valve doesn't really monitor these forums. If you want to be sure a dev will see your problem, you should be posting in the github tracker rather than spamming irrelevant forum threads. At least if you're gonna hijack threads give people precise information they can use to help you figure what's wrong with your system.