Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Outdated] Rupture has incorrect interaction with Abaddon's Borrowed Time

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ValeN View Post
    What i think was the intent of the change was for it to be something like march of the machines. Which has no damage type on paper.
    March of the Machines is universal. I don't see why it'd be changed when it was changed in dota 1 just last patch to actually not be blocked by as many thing. That's just Borrowed Time code healing off all types of damage including health loss, which is also why you heal up when you activate Armlet with ult on.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyros View Post
    March of the Machines is universal. I don't see why it'd be changed when it was changed in dota 1 just last patch to actually not be blocked by as many thing. That's just Borrowed Time code healing off all types of damage including health loss, which is also why you heal up when you activate Armlet with ult on.
    But it currently does not prevent soul ring damage. Something clearly isnt right with the damage types...

Rupture has wrong damage type because it can be blocked by abilities like refraction and bristle back and does not affect invunerable units like storm in ball lightning. It also disables blink and healing salves.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ValeN View Post
    But it currently does not prevent soul ring damage. Something clearly isnt right with the damage types...
    Because as someone pointed out, valve never coded "Hp removal" as a damage type, they've just been making specific rules for each case, which leads to issues everytime a new skill is added that does things differently. Like how Kraken Shell was never coded correctly so when Dark Pact from Slark was added, even though it does exactly the same thing, it was still bugged for multiple months. So some work, some don't. Really only Soul Ring works correctly afaik.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyros View Post
    Because as someone pointed out, valve never coded "Hp removal" as a damage type, they've just been making specific rules for each case, which leads to issues everytime a new skill is added that does things differently. Like how Kraken Shell was never coded correctly so when Dark Pact from Slark was added, even though it does exactly the same thing, it was still bugged for multiple months. So some work, some don't. Really only Soul Ring works correctly afaik.
    exactly

what was supposed to be a better engine is miles behind wc3 dota when it cames to changes

wc3: change dmg type to hp removal, make it able to kill, done (couple of hours?)

dota2: ok, it needs to work like hp removal, it goes through this, this, this, this..... and this.. oh it needs to go through this, can't work with this.. oh and this is not right.. (7 weeks, rupture still doesn't work as it should)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Keowee View Post
    Nothing is wrong with Rupture
    http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=91389

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jam3972 View Post
    If they just wanted it to go through bkb they could have done it other ways. they did HP removal because of all the interaction it entails.

This really should match dota 1 behavior. please fix it valve.
    You are mistaken. in DotA 1 there is no other way than HP removal.

Magic damage always had universal damage (basically the same thing as magic but goes through BKB) there is nothing similar for Pure damage, which Seeker Ultimate was before.

I realy see this as one of the biggest weaknesses of WC 3 dota. leads to random things like, healing using salves through rupture or killing Abbadon through borrowed.

I actually would really wish for a DotA 2 specific solution regartding this.

Basic Member
    Not an Engine Limitation. Icefrog could have just used his new "Universal Pure" damage that he just wrote a handler for in 6.78 when the Rupture change was made, but instead he wanted HP Removal.

If you call things limitations of DotA 1, 90% of the time you will be wrong.

Basic Member
    added to sticky.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Basic Member
    Posting this here, because I'm not actually sure how this interaction is supposed to work, but it falls under the umbrella of "HP removal under Borrowed Time" interactions.

AFAIK most (I would say all, but I'm not sure if it's all) HP removal spells in DotA 1 use a different damage type if the damage instance would be lethal (e.g. EMP does magic damage if lethal and HP removal otherwise). This is because HP removal in DotA 1 actually cannot be lethal. How is this specifically supposed to interact with Borrowed Time? Is the triggered lethal non-HP-removal instance supposed to activate the Borrowed Time triggered heal? In this case, does this mean the correct interaction between HP removal spells and Abaddon's Borrowed Time is for them to damage him if the damage instance would not kill him, but heal him if it would?