Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What the hell happened to matchmaking since launch?

Quote Originally Posted by Mvstery View Post
    300 wins + 0 wins < 150 wins + 150 wins. Putting a pro and a noob on same team against two average player is not the meaning of balance. No matter how good you are you cannot stop noobs from feeding, its basically 1v2. Stop putting new players with better players. put them with their own level players. when they get better they can matchmake with better players. 1 noob is all it take to ruin a single game..really.
    Win count doesn't mean skill.

Try it yourself. Go create a new account. Are you suddenly much worse at DotA?
    To avoid LPQ:

Don't draw attention to yourself
    Don't use voice or chat except for 'ss'
    Mute all at lvl 1
    Only play in parties
    Get alternate accounts
    Limit your usage to one or two games per day per account
    Don't play too well
    Don't play on Sunday or Monday
    Wait until the developers reset LPQ status

If you're getting matched with trolls or feeders:

You may have been placed in a hidden pool. There is no known way out of this, apart from moving to a different account.

Basic Member
    There is a very easy explanation for that. There are probably quite a few players from the beta that may have been able to finally convince their friends to play the game after it has been released. Even if it would probably be better for them to just play some bot games and then some solo MM in order to learn the basics and get familiar with the game overall, they probably just want to play together(cant really blame them if you ask me). These players are now getting matched up with your team that probably consists of an equally mixed up team which might just work out to create a balanced match(if your lucky). In most cases though it will make for a shitty game for pretty much everyone involved. The way how I deal with situations like this is just to come to terms with the fact, play it out trying to make the best of it. There is really not much that can be done about this in my opinion without heavily limiting options of new players which cant obviously be a solution.*

I am 100% sure that Valve is doing their best to improve the MMR in order to reduce chances of something like that happening to a minimum. Its just not that easy as DotA is a really, really complex game and even if the teams are properly balanced there are always a lot of other factors to take into account(people trying new heroes, drafting related imbalance, people having a bad day...) which cant possibly be regarded beforehand. Like someone said, 5-stacking is obviously the best way to avoid this all together. Even if you don't have 4 friends to play with, there are plenty of options to find people to play with using either the new guild system, the chat or even community sites like teamliquid.net for example.

*Taking all this into consideration I feel like the system works pretty well in its current state. In my opinion its totally worth it to play around 15-30 either decent or bad games before having one of the most epic back and forth games that go to the 75 minute mark and may included every single rax being destroyed. We all experienced this more then just a few times and for me personally it is one of the most important reasons I fell love with this game over and over again and frankly, I am pretty sure I'm not alone.

(edited several times through terrible English skills)
    Last edited by Sven58; 07-13-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    "We don't take kindly to people who don't take kindly around here..."

Basic Member
    OK i have to agree that since launch, mm has been horrible. Every match totally one sided. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED.

Basic Member
    What happened is that Valve is employing the same matchmaking system as HoN (used to) have: give newbies average MMR, throw them to the lions. (As opposed to LoL, where newbies are expected to be low skilled, but the system gives them a huge rating increase if they are found to be smurfs)

The difference is in HoN 1/ there were few newbies, so they played with and against 9 skilled players and lost their way down the ladder 2/ you could SEE YOUR MMR.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enai Siaion View Post
    What happened is that Valve is employing the same matchmaking system as HoN (used to) have: give newbies average MMR, throw them to the lions. (As opposed to LoL, where newbies are expected to be low skilled, but the system gives them a huge rating increase if they are found to be smurfs)

The difference is in HoN 1/ there were few newbies, so they played with and against 9 skilled players and lost their way down the ladder 2/ you could SEE YOUR MMR.
    So you're saying the huge influx of new players that came with Dota 2's release is the reason for the extensive skill differences in matchmaking recently?

The dota 2 matchmaking has always been the worst matchmaking you could find. It's a matchmaking that would work for a shooter like cs:go but fails for a game like dota.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuukun View Post
    The dota 2 matchmaking has always been the worst matchmaking you could find. It's a matchmaking that was copied from cs:go but fails for a game like dota.
    FTFY.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Win count doesn't mean skill.

Try it yourself. Go create a new account. Are you suddenly much worse at DotA?
    Chance of a 1000 win player to be a total noob is considerably lower than that of a 1 win player.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by venomst1ng View Post
    I just played a game in the Very High skill bracket, 2 players went on and fed every respawn and kept talking on voice chat in russian and of course we lost the game with an 8-60 score 15 minutes in. And after that i checked their profiles, both of them had 17 wins. How can this happen, what the hell?
    what makes you think "very high" means anything? theres retards everywhere

valve terms:
    normal
    high
    very high

reality:
    garbage
    garbage
    decent
    Last edited by bnibni; 07-14-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Basic Member
    Exact same thing happened in HoN. As soon as the game got released games went to absolute shit.

Luckily the visible ranking system made you immune from getting trash on your team if you climbed high enough but that doesn't seem to be the case in Dota 2.