Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What the hell happened to matchmaking since launch?

Basic Member

What the hell happened to matchmaking since launch?

I just played a game in the Very High skill bracket, 2 players went on and fed every respawn and kept talking on voice chat in russian and of course we lost the game with an 8-60 score 15 minutes in. And after that i checked their profiles, both of them had 17 wins. How can this happen, what the hell?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by venomst1ng View Post
    I just played a game in the Very High skill bracket, 2 players went on and fed every respawn and kept talking on voice chat in russian and of course we lost the game with an 8-60 score 15 minutes in. And after that i checked their profiles, both of them had 17 wins. How can this happen, what the hell?
    It isn't safe to play without a 5 stack.

Valve's matchmaking averages the skill level of all players together for the purposes of teams.

The developers believe that the best players are able to carry their weakest, trashcan, feeding teammates versus an average team.
    Over 300 major bugs. The Ancient BD 'feature.' Mute System: win rate directly correlated to amount of muted players on each team.
    Developers have no backbone or heart, consistently browse threads about controversial topics awaiting a developer reply, never answer.
    It couldn't get any worse. Valve should be given the benefit of a doubt?
    I was wrong. Quickcast.

Basic Member
    300 wins + 0 wins < 150 wins + 150 wins. Putting a pro and a noob on same team against two average player is not the meaning of balance. No matter how good you are you cannot stop noobs from feeding, its basically 1v2. Stop putting new players with better players. put them with their own level players. when they get better they can matchmake with better players. 1 noob is all it take to ruin a single game..really.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mvstery View Post
    300 wins + 0 wins < 150 wins + 150 wins. Putting a pro and a noob on same team against two average player is not the meaning of balance. No matter how good you are you cannot stop noobs from feeding, its basically 1v2. Stop putting new players with better players. put them with their own level players. when they get better they can matchmake with better players. 1 noob is all it take to ruin a single game..really.
    Valve isn't stupid, they know their system is bad and they could fix it if they wanted to. They are doing it intentionally in-order to artificially create a "~50%" win rating for everybody so that bad players don't lose too much, feel bad, and quit. All valve cares about is trying to attract the LoL crowd and sell them more hats.
    Ladder = gives players incentive towards winning. Encourages team work, cooperation, and less selfish play.

Mute system = Discourages the majority of communication outside of miss calls, removes accountability, and gives bad players the ability to bully anyone they wish.

Makes perfect sense to me when you consider that Valve wants to make the game as casual as possible in-order to compete with League of Legends and sell more hats.

Basic Member
    That's just your assumption.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Destro View Post
    Valve isn't stupid, they know their system is bad and they could fix it if they wanted to. They are doing it intentionally in-order to artificially create a "~50%" win rating for everybody so that bad players don't lose too much, feel bad, and quit. All valve cares about is trying to attract the LoL crowd and sell them more hats.
    I kinda have to agree, I cannot see any other reason behind the current system. It brings into doubt much of the skill of the so-called "pro" players. If most of them have been teamed up for their ladder play for the past 2 years, I wonder how many of them were merely carried there by stomping 5 man solo queuers.
    Remove the report system please. It's unnecessary, unwanted and not working.

Basic Member
    Hi, thanks for posting this thread.

I have 1700+ games played with 892 wins (~52% win) and since the game was released, I have been matched with people that have 10-150 wins. These people are all very new to this game (they told me this themselves) and the games have been extremely low skill with players not knowing basic mechanics like carrying TPs, warding, defending towers, and using abilities in teamfights. I don't know why this has begun happening, never in my 1700 games has it been this bad and it is completely ruining my playing experience. I hope Valve addresses this issue very soon because I simply have no will to play anymore when every game is a crapshoot like this.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Destro View Post
    The easiest way to fixing this is putting noobs with noobs. Then noobs won't lose as much. So your assumption is flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by sizzleby View Post
    Hi, thanks for posting this thread.

I have 1700+ games played with 892 wins (~52% win) and since the game was released, I have been matched with people that have 10-150 wins. These people are all very new to this game (they told me this themselves) and the games have been extremely low skill with players not knowing basic mechanics like carrying TPs, warding, defending towers, and using abilities in teamfights. I don't know why this has begun happening, never in my 1700 games has it been this bad and it is completely ruining my playing experience. I hope Valve addresses this issue very soon because I simply have no will to play anymore when every game is a crapshoot like this.
    Right? My matchmaking has been great when the game was still in beta. Now it suck ass.

Basic Member
    Right? My matchmaking has been great when the game was still in beta. Now it suck ass.
    Exactly. It's like someone hit a switch that completely changed how matchmaking was run. Obviously people have always complained about it, but I was generally content with how it was. Sure, you get people that feed all the time but at least they are experienced and know how the game works. You also had one-sided games but it is impossible to evenly distribute skill in a game like Dota that has so many variables.

Now it's just complete trash.

I would guess after all this time the system tries to get guys close to each other in a very short timeframe if it fails it goes ahead, and vastly overrates even the slightest difference from 50% winrate then it distributes them randomly ingame only accounting for stacks that queued together. You can easily have overall 3000 win vs 100 win teams from what i saw so far, but most common stomp is when enemy has 2-3 times your wins, and i mostly play soloq so stacks didn't hold it back. One guy having 50x times or more win than the lowest win guy and one side has 3x times or more wins or more than the other is like every 3th game.
    Last edited by nadaga; 07-13-2013 at 07:26 PM.