Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Horsemen of the apocalypse

Reason why people think they are like 4 horse mean is mainly because of the colour of their mounts,

Death had a skeletal horse (abadon)

War had a red / fire / brown horse (CK)

Conquest had a white horse (KotL)

Famine had a malnourished horse (None exist for this yet)

Unless legion gets a horse that is really malnourished, it isnt the 4 horsemen

People do tend to believe that these three are the horsemen, mainly because of their mount colors. I can say, that two of mentioned heroes suggested as the horsemen, do fit their given spheres and characters, while one, even while having a colored horse, doesn't.

Let me explain.

White horseman, or the horseman of conquest (sometimes known as pestilence), is the only horseman with a slight tinge of good in itself, rides atop a white horse. While conquest may be an evil deed, sometimes it may stop ancient conflicts and bring a better culture. Sometimes, that is.

Red horseman, or the horseman of war, rides atop a red stallion. Brutality, chaos, death, cruelty, malice - all these are symbols and meanings of war.

Black horseman, or the horseman of famine, rides atop a pitch black horse. This horseman symbolizes agonizing and slow death, lack of nutrition, terrible pain.

Green horseman, or death, rides atop a green horse, sometimes a green tinged skeletal horse, and is essentially, a skeleton with a reaper's scythe in hand. No need to explain what this horseman means.

Now, most people in this thread think that:

Keeper of Light is the white one.
    Chaos knight is the red one.
    Abaddon is the green one (death).
    And legion commander is the last horseman... black?

First off, legion commander cannot be a horseman in any way. Since she's not a man. Secondly, she does not symbolize famine, so even if her horse was black, she still wouldn't be a horseman of apocalypse.

Abaddon actually has a black horse, even if it skeletal, it still in no way represents the green color of death. Nor does Abaddon himself. If you looked at his skillset, he's more of an anti-death, having two heals and a shield.

While many people may not like this one, but Chaos Knight falls into horsemen of apocalypse theory, and falls in with full extent. First off, his horse is red. Second off, chaos is an aspect of war, and chaos knight does bring war to the realms. Third off, his horse's name is Armageddon, while is kinda the same as Apocalypse. Fourth off, his lore states "Where rides the Chaos Knight, death soon follows.", which is literally an interpretation of war. Fifth, and most convincing fact, is that his own lines state that his a horseman of apocalypse. Casting Phantasm: "The horsemen of the apocalypse.".

Keeper of the Light, may and may not fall the horseman category. He does have a white horse, that is true. And if you look at it from a certain prism, he may actually represent conquest:
    1. He sows his light wherever he goes (seemingly as conquering nations do with their ideas, traditions and ideologies).
    2. While he liberated some people with the light, he has destroyed countless others (the first dawn and extinction of Night Stalker's race).
    3. He is deeply tied with Chaos Knight, saying Chaos Knight follows him wherever he goes (war always follows ideas of conquest and aftermath of conquest).

Essentially, he's quite a candidate to be a horseman. But to break the illusion, Abaddon IS NOT a horseman of the apocalypse, and Legion Commander WILL NOT BE a horsewoman of the apocalypse.
    Brainwashing people is fun.

From the traditional horseman, yes Abby and Commander doesn't fit.

You can even say that Chaos Knight himself is the Four Horseman - at least he thinks so, judging by response : http://hydra-images.cursecdn.com/dot...hantasm_02.mp3

Basic Member
    necrolythe clearly is the horseman of death.
    he is green and he obviously killed his horse as part of his character. afterall he arrived where he was heading to (the dota realm) and doesnt need a ride anytime soon.

the horseman of famine is already taken by a notable character and does not need to be covered in dota 2 anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by setuxas View Post
    "Where rides the Chaos Knight, death soon follows."

3. He is deeply tied with Chaos Knight, saying Chaos Knight follows him wherever he goes (war always follows ideas of conquest and aftermath of conquest).
    oddly enough this could be a (rough) description of this picture.
    is the logical order of conquest, war, famine, death always present in the classic riders of the apocalypse theme?
    Last edited by blash365; 07-15-2013 at 05:25 AM.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Yes, conquest is always the first to come, second is always war, third is always famine and the fourth is death.

You may be right about necrolyte being death, his character and his abilities both wreak of death, and he is green, the color of death.
    Brainwashing people is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337_n00b View Post
    No, it's not; Abaddon isn't connected to them, and they don't even have a fourth horseman. Some... people suggested Bane, but come on.

This is a cliche that is getting too old.
    I found that insulting, so you know.

Yes, that was my suggestion, as Bane to be related to Famine. Think outside the box, not with your head inside your ass. It doesn't quite matter if he doesn't have a mount, he is something related as one.

I think that Chaos Knight is the all 4 horsemen when he use his ulty, anyways this is really overused in other games so I dont want to see this in DOTA 2, if you ask me...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bnyx View Post
    I found that insulting, so you know.

Yes, that was my suggestion, as Bane to be related to Famine. Think outside the box, not with your head inside your ass. It doesn't quite matter if he doesn't have a mount, he is something related as one.
    actually bane was very equine in his original design.
    maybe death simply is the black horse.
    Make sure to read the Forum Rules as well as the stickied Threads of the Forum Section you are posting in.

Contributions i'd like to highlight:
    My Suggestion: Coaching System
    My Sticky: Intended Changes List
    My Challenge: Completely Fixed Hero Challenge: Skywrath Mage

Quote Originally Posted by blash365 View Post
    actually bane was very equine in his original design.
    My point exactly.

Basic Member
    Chaos Knight is meant to be the physical manifestation of the strong nuclear force, and KoTL is the manifestation of the weak nuclear force. Both are more closely related to Enigma (fundamental force of gravity) and Wisp (fundamental force of electromagnetism).

Honestly, I think they put that stuff about the Horsemen in his lines because it sounds cool, and it kinda resembles the way in which the Four Horsemen herald the end of the world. It's relevant to his lore because he is trying to destroy "the Light", which sustains all life (except Night Stalker, that dude hates the stuff).