Thread: SUGGESTION: Titles

Basic Member Justinian of Hattes's Avatar

SUGGESTION: Titles

There's this game called APB: Reloaded, a free2play MMO-Shooter hybrid on Steam. It's a great game, and one of its finer qualities is the obscene amounts of customization the game allows for. While I can't expect Dota's customization to get on the level of APB's, Reloaded DOES have a feature that I think would work great: Titles!

Quite simply, you earn titles for playing the game as certain heroes, getting certain items, buying wards, couriers, that sorta thing. This would then be displayed in your profile, like the custom text you can place under your name. Here are some examples I thought of:

Dazzling!: Win 10 games with Dazzle

Did you say stop?: Earn a Beyond Godlike killstreak as Queen of Pain

Aghanim's Acolyte: Purchase Aghanim's Scepter 25 times over a lifetime

Pure Skill: Get 20 successful multicasts off in one game

Very Critical: score a 2000+ damage critical hit

Divine Thief: Successfully take a Divine Rapier dropped by an enemy

Lemme know what ya think?

"I'm all for moderation, but sometimes it seems, moderation itself can be a kind of extreme."

You can already just type this and have it on your profile and i rather people just play properly than trying to complete achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by frankles View Post
    You can already just type this and have it on your profile and i rather people just play properly than trying to complete achievements.
    I mentioned that and that's for statuses as well as being barely noticeable. And you see the idea here is that they are incremental deals that you don't have to "work" towards. Then of course if someone does it will be good experience for them.

"I'm all for moderation, but sometimes it seems, moderation itself can be a kind of extreme."

Basic Member
    Let's say in World of Warcraft we have Achievement runs. After fully clearing a raid every week we would aim for achievements; however, this isn't World of Warcraft. In Dota2 you do not simply have one of those moments where you "have enough wins" like that of World of Warcraft's "full clear weekly" so I highly disapprove any additions or changes to the game that causes player behaviors to move towards something else besides wanting to win the game.

These are the few points I have to note from OP: If it's barely even noticeable then why bother? You also stated that you dont have to "work" towards it. This is false, even in a normal game a PA wouldn't be able to crit for 2k (a sample number you provided) without thinking about making a divine rapier, and as we all know dropping a divine rapier could change the whole game around. So in the provided scenario if the PA is aiming to get the 2k crit title although it is unwise to get divine rapier in the given situation (while getting something else like a mkb is better) and if she drops it then she just lost the game for the team. In World of Warcraft our raid group has to agree or disagree on whether we want to do achievement runs or not, and if majority votes against it then it cannot be done; however in dota it only takes 1 retard who wants to attain this "barely noticeable title" to ruin the whole game for everyone.

Again any suggested addition or changes that encourages the player to not work towards solely to win the game is not in my favor. In fact we already see this problem even without your graceful suggestion - retards running around alone with 4 battlefuries on an AM without boots just because his name was "I Stack Battlefurys."

And the next thing you know? Let's have a title for Godlike without dying once, and I guarantee you there's going to a Zeus in every game kill stealing everything and loses the game for the whole team with 32 - 0 (Happened before).

The whole objective of the game is to win, wiN, wIN, WIN. The only fun thing about playing the game is win, wiN, wIN, WIN.

EDIT: Now that I'm done reading the complete post, just allow me to add this part in: "Player 4: Hey blue are you here? We need a CARRY." -Picks Dazzle- "Player 1: Dazzling!" - 30 mins later->Lose Game because of no carry.- "Player 1: GG lolz"
    Last edited by Jasmine; 08-19-2013 at 02:32 AM.

Basic Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
    Let's say in World of Warcraft we have Achievement runs. After fully clearing a raid every week we would aim for achievements; however, this isn't World of Warcraft. In Dota2 you do not simply have one of those moments where you "have enough wins" like that of World of Warcraft's "full clear weekly" so I highly disapprove any additions or changes to the game that causes player behaviors to move towards something else besides wanting to win the game.

These are the few points I have to note from OP: If it's barely even noticeable then why bother? You also stated that you dont have to "work" towards it. This is false, even in a normal game a PA wouldn't be able to crit for 2k (a sample number you provided) without thinking about making a divine rapier, and as we all know dropping a divine rapier could change the whole game around. So in the provided scenario if the PA is aiming to get the 2k crit title although it is unwise to get divine rapier in the given situation (while getting something else like a mkb is better) and if she drops it then she just lost the game for the team. In World of Warcraft our raid group has to agree or disagree on whether we want to do achievement runs or not, and if majority votes against it then it cannot be done; however in dota it only takes 1 retard who wants to attain this "barely noticeable title" to ruin the whole game for everyone.

Again any suggested addition or changes that encourages the player to not work towards solely to win the game is not in my favor. In fact we already see this problem even without your graceful suggestion - retards running around alone with 4 battlefuries on an AM without boots just because his name was "I Stack Battlefurys."

And the next thing you know? Let's have a title for Godlike without dying once, and I guarantee you there's going to a Zeus in every game kill stealing everything and loses the game for the whole team with 32 - 0 (Happened before).

The whole objective of the game is to win, wiN, wIN, WIN. The only fun thing about playing the game is win, wiN, wIN, WIN.

EDIT: Now that I'm done reading the complete post, just allow me to add this part in: "Player 4: Hey blue are you here? We need a CARRY." -Picks Dazzle- "Player 1: Dazzling!" - 30 mins later->Lose Game because of no carry.- "Player 1: GG lolz"
    As you give the example, i just thought that those tards are already runing and tard counting would not be stacked or multiplied with the achivements... Tards are tards and players are players. If i were pa in a game that has battlefury bkb at 20th min i would go for divine or mkbs for the achivement. Also, it is possible to have 2000+ crit without divine.

No one will ever pick dazzle if there are lack of carry...

Godlike title would be for carries!

And as your only aim is to be winner, you are a loser... Games are played to have fun, not win... I'm sure u are pretty douchbag that is swearing all of team members when he gets ganked, killed, lost. AND HERE IS YOUR GG...

Basic Member
    "players" and "tards" are both very subjective, I don't even understand what you are trying to say.

"And as your only aim is to be [a] winner, you are a loser..." you should keep your philosophy to yourself while the objective of the game Dota is in fact to destroy the opposing Ancient which will result a win if you do.

"If i were pa in a game that has battlefury bkb at 20th min i would go for divine or mkbs for the achievement." Yeah this statement doesn't necessarily counter my argument, which was players choosing to pick the wrong item over the item that fits the situation. If I have bfury and bkb by 20mins I woulda win the game already, although divine rapier in that situation is also a good choice. I still don't get what you are trying to prove.

"No one will ever pick dazzle if there are lack of carry..." Who is "no one"? If I were to apply your philosophy, which is to have fun, do you think I would get a carry over picking up dazzle if I feel like I want to have fun with a dazzle? C'mon sir, Dazzling!!

"I'm sure u are pretty douchbag that is swearing all of team members when he gets ganked, killed, lost. AND HERE IS YOUR GG..." Fortunately, my friend, I do not play pub as I have actual real life friends to play with. None of my friends are silly enough to go harlem shake and not aim to win. Your claim is yet again very subjective, just because I prioritize on achieving the objective of this game, which is to win, doesn't make me a douchbag. On the other hand if this is your reason for calling me a douchbag then I can assume that you're one of those people who ruins the game for your teammates in a pub game just because you wanted to do your own things and not play in accordance to what your team needs and not feel guilty about it. If winning is not your goal then I am also assume that your record is pretty bad, based on your logic because you differentiated "fun" and "win" And I am, yet again, going to assume that you won't take this offensively because you play "to have fun, not win..."

GG.

P.S. I was that Zeus with 32 - 0 five years ago in a pub game and I lost the game for my team, BUT I had fun! The GODLIKE title belongs to the KS'ers, not the carries. What makes you think the title belongs to the carry; I play to achieve titles and have fun.

Your suggestions are good, thought I am expecting something stupid from Valve's side, like "Get 15 kills with lion on a match" or something that will really lead to this answer ---> "Whatever, I'm doing it for the achievements"

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/Ph9vPsSpPuI/hqdefault.jpg

Here's another example of what I'm thinking of.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBeoulve View Post
    "Whatever, I'm doing it for the achievements"
    This is exactly the reason why we should never have the achievement system.

Implementing the achievement system is creating an alternative marginal benefit to winning. At the moment only the number of wins, loses, and abandons are being recorded on a player's profile and it is permanent, which means whatever you do in each dota game you are solely playing to increase the number of wins displayed on your profile; however, with the achievements being implemented players would then have a new goal to set for: playing for achievements.

Remember back in the old warcraft ladder days and oftentimes you come come across a person who is below 50% winrate but has a rexxar icon? That is because that person doesn't play to win but only to earn icons. Most importantly, those players are descent [US West standards] but they just won't try their best to win each game, and sometimes some are just plain bad after having to play the same race for more than 5,000 games (2k wins and 3k loses).

Sadly enough not everyone has a full group of friends to scrim with, and they have to suffer in pub games. This was the leading cause to the period of time why I stopped playing dota for about half of a year; moreover, if you explore the other parts of the forums you will see a lot of complaints about "RU, BR" related topics. Why do you think this is the case? It's not that some people want to lose on purpose (in fact they really did tried their hardest already) because there's no reason to choose losing over winning, theoretically speaking - but they are just bad. BUT if the achievement system is to be implemented, those "RU, BR's" (that people complain so much on the forum about) are encouraged to not try their best to win games anymore because an alternative goal is given to them.

Go look at your heroes played on your dota profile right now and find a hero that you are 4 - 0 with (need 1 more game to see bar) and tell me you are not tempted to play that hero on your next game, because I sure have even without the achievement system. Players create and keep track of their own achievements without having the need of an achievement system already. This is why you see people talking about their games in the past such as "omgz i won a game in 10 mins" or "omg i got 2 divines in one of my games and i was playing zeus". My fastest battlefury was 12 mins and I remember it because I aim to beat this record every time.