Thread: Anyone who has problems - optional solution

Basic Member

Anyone who has problems - optional solution

If you install your game on location other then boot, It might have performance issues like I had..:
    https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...ux/issues/2701

Basic Member
    I don't think you really understand what a boot partition is. There's no way I could have installed dota on my boot partition since it's 200MB big. There's no way I could have installed a reasonable linux distro there for that matter. It's just big enough to fit a few kernel images and initrds, which is all that is needed for a boot partition.

Whatever your problem was, it was not that your steam library isn't on a boot partition. Even assuming that the source of your troubles actually was that partition (and not just some transient issue that synced with your installation of dota), I can imagine a bunch of potential causes that have nothing to do with dota : failing disk, corrupted fs, overly fragmented fs, failing hd controller, buggy hd driver, ... , maybe linux dota2 doesn't like to be installed on a fat32 or ntfs partition. That last one, maybe valve could do something about it. Assuming that was actually the issue...

Basic Member
    The drive is EXT4.. about other reasons, what can I do?

Basic Member
    I guess you meant to say that the partition who gave you troubles was ext4 ?
    Since you said dota2 was working alright after your second install, you may not need to do anything. If you want to figure what's up with your badly behaving partition, I guess more tests are needed ?
    • fsck should be able to find (and hopefully fix) issues with the filesystem, it will also tell you about fragmentation.
    • smartctl will give you info about your hard drive's health
    • hdparm -t provides a (very) crude hard drive transfer rate benchmark.