Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dota 2 for Linux is now available on the main Dota 2 client.

Basic Member
    How is the performance?? If its better than windows i am shifting dota 2 to linux

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by evil_osman2 View Post
    How is the performance?? If its better than windows i am shifting dota 2 to linux
    In my case there's no differences, maybe with the native one is slightly more stable with the number of fps, but both (native one and windows one with wine) have 60 +- fps

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LamerTex View Post
    In my case there's no differences, maybe with the native one is slightly more stable with the number of fps, but both (native one and windows one with wine) have 60 +- fps
    Well how is the fps with high settings? I have an HD 6670 GDDR5 Card and in high settings i get around 40 +fps. If its the same i dont mind but if its lower then i should think about it

Basic Member
    Well how is the fps with high settings? I have an HD 6670 GDDR5 Card and in high settings i get around 40 +fps. If its the same i dont mind but if its lower then i should think about it
    Well I have a nvidia 670 so I'm with all maxed out, probably the faster (or fastest? my english is terrible >.<) way to know how it will run it's to try xD

Basic Member
    Okie My 2 gb ram has spoilt so gave it for repair . Now running it on windows with 2 gb ram. Will linux also run with 2gb ? ty in advance for clearing this doubt

Basic Member
    Well normally linux it's much more light than windows, then depends on the distribution you want to install, Ubuntu it's one of the most heavy (because of unity). Try with ubuntu if it is too slow, try with xubuntu or lubuntu (they are always ubuntu distribution, but with different desktop enviroment, more light than unity)

Basic Member
    I recommend avoiding compositing window managers (like gnome's Mutter or ubuntu's Unity) because they often cause image microlags due to indirect rendering, which can be quite annoying. And it won't be ever fixed in X.org server because the server, by design, doesn't support compositing and indirect rendering is basically a workaround to make windows cast shadows and be transparent.

Long story short: if you experience microlags without fps issues, the reason is most likely in your window manager, try something without compositing (unity-2d, openbox, even meatcity).

Will linux also run with 2gb ?
    Linux can run on a router. In fact, it's often the case. If your pc is capable of running current Windows, Ubuntu will work pretty well.

Basic Member
    I don't think mentioning that linux can be tweaked to run on a toaster is really useful in this conversation. When what osman obviously intented to ask is :
    Will dota 2 on linux also run with acceptable perfs with 2gb of ram ?
    The answer is much less obvious.
    Avoiding heavy desktops environments is a good start. It may require some more drastic actions like closing his browser before starting the game or messing around with .CFGs ...

Basic Member
    Thx Valve! Great work, but i have problem with language. I'm using Steam in Polish language but Dota is in English. Anyone knows how to change the language?

Basic Member
    I have a 6850 graphics card 8 gb ram, 2500k cpu. (Assuming max settings) With windows 7 I get roughly 80-100+ fps at all times. With linux mint 15, 50fps is probably the average with drops into the low 30s during big exchanges. It is definitely playable, though I am slightly disappointed I had to lower some graphical settings in order to stay above 50fps at all times.