Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Dota 2 for Linux is now available on the main Dota 2 client.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hirsute View Post
    I don't think mentioning that linux can be tweaked to run on a toaster is really useful in this conversation. When what osman obviously intented to ask is :

The answer is much less obvious.
    Avoiding heavy desktops environments is a good start. It may require some more drastic actions like closing his browser before starting the game or messing around with .CFGs ...
    That's why I've mentioned running windows. 2GB is more than enough for Ubuntu to function perfectly. And if you get any RAM issues, you can just go and close that Firefox window with the bazillion open tabs. (Of course, there are other tech specs, but the question was only about RAM.)

Basic Member
    I ran dota natively on steam for linux and via wine, and wine was definitely better. Both had the problem of hardly visible hero models, though apparently thats an issue of my gpu (Intel® HD Graphics 4-something). Performance via wine is comparable to Windows, on Steam for Linux it was barely playable, and there were additional graphical artifacts there. I didn't try to tweak any settings on Steam for Linux though, cause I already was in a mm game. I think I glimpsed something of DotA using OpenGL, idk whether thats ideal.

All I wanted to do here, was to remind anyone who's having Problems with running DotA natively under Linux to try running it via wine, because that really seems to work better.

Basic Member
    Firstly thanks Valve!

Secondly, Can I backup dota2 on my windows side and use it on linux?

Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldniax View Post
    Firstly thanks Valve!

Secondly, Can I backup dota2 on my windows side and use it on linux?

Thanks

Yes you can.