View Poll Results: Should MMR be made visible in one way or another?

Voters
2694. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it should. It could be MMR itself, percentile or "brackets".

2,206 81.89%
  • No, it shouldn't. I don't want to know my MMR.

488 18.11%
Page 2 of 171 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Do players want to see their MatchMaking Rating? Please come in and vote.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soprof View Post
    cons:
    - Players with the lowest MMR in the team and in the game will feel some pressure. On the other hand, it's kind of a good thing - it really helps to concentrate and improve your game;
    - Many players will lose their "I AM THE GOD OF DOTA" feeling due to understanding that lots of players are actually more skilled than them - and thus will become more focused on game and, i guess, mannered.
    both are actually pluses.

Quote Originally Posted by Racerkid View Post
    I remembered this
    "With great power comes great responsbility"
    Ofc he has to take the responsbility because MM has already made this guy responsible for the win or loss, every decision he takes matters..but responsility also means
    For a good player
    1) Telling the lowest lvl on ur team to cheer up..take it easy
    2) Telling them to not fight among themselves and concentrate n be ready for the next team fight
    3) Leading the team by pre-fixing Please to every request like wards, courier n so on
    this above scenario leads to victory in 80% of cases.

But you can also be a **tch and
    1)Be a dictator -> You are lowest lvl in the team PICK SUPPORT
    2)Report this noob for game ruining
    this above scenario leads to losing in 100% of cases.

So Bleako, there are both pros n cons to this man, it really depends on the individual to call it and be a man to the situation. By being a man i mean be a Good leader (scenario 1) ...but displaying ELO does help.. helps me know how good my lane partner is and to change my game style accordingly..
    These decisions you're talking about will affect the result of the game and, thus, the MMR. This kinda adds management elements to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleako View Post
    Edit 2: Also, showing MMR would give people a false sense of hierarchy and power over others. The highest MMR in a game would feel like they are the ones that will carry the game and therefore would play more selfishly, while the lowest MMR would be treated like an unskilled player that needs to be looked after so that he doesn't drag the team down. You can't really say this wouldn't happen, people IRL always treat other people differently based on hierarchy.
    I remember on the iccup league, higher MMR matches only had rd games and players with highest MMR were to choose first. They were like caps, as well as first pickers. Most of the times they would swap that #1 hero to someone else and generally organize the game. I am not expecting the same to happen to matchmaking pubs, but nobody expected that to happen to these iccup games as well. Let goddamn players to organize themselfs. Let them to do "extra" in order to win.
    Bad players will find a way to lose the game. Players focused on winning will get few extra strings to pull.
    Last edited by soprof; 07-19-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    You're only as strong as your weakest link.
    -Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Omgzpwnd View Post
    both are actually pluses.
    Not from the "hats in store" point of view. =D
    You're only as strong as your weakest link.
    -Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Racerkid View Post
    For a good player
    1) Telling the lowest lvl on ur team to cheer up..take it easy
    2) Telling them to not fight among themselves and concentrate n be ready for the next team fight
    3) Leading the team by pre-fixing Please to every request like wards, courier n so on
    this above scenario leads to victory in 80% of cases.

But you can also be a **tch and
    1)Be a dictator -> You are lowest lvl in the team PICK SUPPORT
    2)Report this noob for game ruining
    this above scenario leads to losing in 100% of cases.
    In both cases, the low MMR player is treated differently. The main thing to remember here is that the difference in MMR is only really noticeable in big increments and generally speaking players of similar MMR are put together by the matchmaking system. If you have a 2900 player and a 2600 player on your team, chances are they won't play THAT differently from one another.

There's also the fact that you won't always have the same "hierarchy position" in all your matches... so in one match you're the highest MMR and then in the next one you're suddenly a scrub that needs to be told what to do??

Basic Member
    A private MMR shouldn't do any harm . Although I'd prefer a percentile.

Basic Member
    I'd like to see it, but I think it shouldn't be visable to other players for the reasons that have been discussed ad naseum on these boards.

Quote Originally Posted by [H]awk-[EyE] View Post
    A private MMR shouldn't do any harm
    ^

Basic Member
    I messaged this to the dota mm dev aswell but not sure we'll see him again - just copy pasting here as it's relevant

in public games even when there is a moderate disparity in mmr, the roles become massively important. For example, I play a lot of solo queues and have played other games like dota 1 and hon, so my mmr is at the top end. Sometimes I play with friends who aren't as good, when I do this there is a very large difference between our MMR - this means in the majority of games I need to go mid and outplay them so i can control all the lanes (which are more than likely to be lost, as the mmr of the enemy is somewhere between me and my friends).

If i'm playing a support or a low influence early game hero, like a melee hard carry who can't control the lane himself, we are more than likely going to lose. Now this isn't saying we can ONLY win if I'm playing a decent mid, it's saying the chances of the game being competitive are MUCH higher if the correct people are on the heroes with most influence.

This disparity in MMR is still apparent when queuing without friends in matchmaking as well. If we take another matchmaking system (HoN) as an example. In a lot of games around the 1800 rating, you will have 1 guy at 1800, 1 guy at 17xx and maybe 3 guys at 16xx (because there are far less players at a high rating, so games need to be balanced like this to ensure queues aren't long). The MMR gap here may not seem like much, and from experience the standard dota game will have a slightly higher variance (you can judge peoples skill quite easily from simple plays), but it still becomes important. In situations like this, If i take the mid hero and one of the enemy 1600 players take a mid against me, chances are they are going to get beaten substantially - this means the chance of the game being competitive/close is much lower.

Of course i'm not saying certain roles take more skill or are more important - with 10 evenly matched players every role is equally important - but when there are discrepancies and a lack of teamwork then individual skill and role becomes hugely important.

So by seeing the relative MMR of players in HoN, I was able to pick a mid hero or a carry that can control the lane when I had to - this ensured the majority of games were close and competitive, which is essentially the aim of a matchmaking system.

The problem we have in dota is that we can't see peoples MMR. I understand that you don't want lower people to feel bad, and also you don't want the best players to be the only ones allowed to play certain roles. The point is, at some point in time every player will be the best player in the game, so if you truly want a matchmaking that provides competitive games that both teams can enjoy, you have to show MMR.

It's as simple as that - there are small tweaks and fixes you can make to improve efficiency in the system, sure. But if you want reasonable queue times and decent games, this has to happen.

When there is a disparity in mmr, if the right players aren't on the right heroes the chances of having a good game drastically decrease.

Basic Member
    I want to see it so badly. pls implement it valve waiting so long for it

Basic Member
    why private mmr ? how the hell showing that you are good or bad would do harm to the game or comunity, i dont understand, this is a game and like in every game that is not SINGLE PLAYER some are good and some are not so good .and for me to become better i have to know where im standing