View Poll Results: Should MMR be made visible in one way or another?

Voters
2694. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it should. It could be MMR itself, percentile or "brackets".

2,206 81.89%
  • No, it shouldn't. I don't want to know my MMR.

488 18.11%
Page 3 of 171 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Do players want to see their MatchMaking Rating? Please come in and vote.

Definitely should be visible. The gap between players is high in games. Players should know when they're playing opponents much stronger than the usual so that they don't insist on going mid (for example) to later realize they get outplayed and instead let someone with higher mmr take the harder roles. Also all my games are in very high bracket but they seem to differ so much..from games that every single one is at a really high level making amazing plays and everything clicking as it should so that even if u lose u can't really blame anyone for making mistakes ...to games like my last one where everyone (my team and opponents) were so easymode i mvped with treant easily (no amazing stuff just all players were obviously lower skilled so hard not to make stuff happen)

Basic Member
    Visible to yourself & your friends, so you can compare with friends

Its better if the system will work with dotabuff level of perfomance on different heroes. So... people can see what type of heroes player#1 can play better. For example: MMRCarry: 400, MMRSup: 160, MMRMid: 800. Maximum 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by McMillanMe View Post
    Its better if the system will work with dotabuff level of perfomance on different heroes. So... people can see what type of heroes player#1 can play better. For example: MMRCarry: 400, MMRSup: 160, MMRMid: 800. Maximum 1000.
    No. Is not related to the topic, sounds very much like HON.
    I like the fact that only category to evaluate the players is currenly win/lose. Nothing else.

Updated first post with possible implementation options:
    I. Visible only to yourself. Just like only you see number of games you lost.
    II. Visible only to yourself. Can be made friends_only or public via options. Just like it is possible to make game history public.
    III. Visible to your team. Would help to assign roles.
    IV. Visible to your team, but after the game. Would help people to evaluate what and why went wrong.
    V. Visible to all the players in the game. This way you'll understand who's dangerous out there. Also you'll understand whether you're favored or not.
    VI. Visible to everyone and anytime. Harsh option.

I don't think anybody will lose anything from II.

I personally would like VI. Yeh, I know, most likely not gonna happen =D
    You're only as strong as your weakest link.
    -Thomas Reid

Basic Member
    Just make it a different queue option from normal (like in LoL) so those who want to see their rating have to play "ranked" games and those who don't can play "normal" games.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangr View Post
    Just make it a different queue option from normal (like in LoL) so those who want to see their rating have to play "ranked" games and those who don't can play "normal" games.
    This is actually not related to my suggestion is well.

I don't want any new systems or whatever. Just give us more details on what is already there.
    -Thomas Reid

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soprof View Post
    This is actually not related to my suggestion is well.

I don't want any new systems or whatever. Just give us more details on what is already there.
    They don't want to reveal the current system because it rewards carrying and having good stats much more than taking it for the team.

The only people wanting to know their MMR are the baddies/ragers to blame others or for the big ego nerds who want to show off. Any decent dota player will recognize the weaklings in his team and know in what bracket he actually is and will adapt his expectations. If you're good, you'll end up in the Very high bracket in no time soon anyway and you will notice it. Bads will stay at the beginners/normal bracket. I played HoN for over 2 years, went over 1900+ mmr (represented maybe 2% of the Hon community at the time...), I went through EVERY bracket so I know what I'm talking about.

As for my dota 2 main account, it has 600 wins and is in the very high bracket. I created a fresh one 2 weeks ago, have just over 60 wins and I only end up with/against people with 450-1000+ wins because I have over 70% wins. A clear MMR really isn't needed. It brings way more RAGE and SELFISHNESS than anythign else.

Edit: also for the people whining about the 19 wins guy in your team when you have just over 200, maybe you're the one who's been stuck in your trash backet while the guy has 1 loss and is climbing up. I don't think dota 2's MM is about your level or total of wins only, it takes your winning percentage in count aswell. I've seen people with over 700 wins who were simply legit bad.
    Last edited by Ergo; 07-19-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
    The only people wanting to know their MMR are the baddies/ragers to blame others or for the big ego nerds who want to show off. Any decent dota player will recognize the weaklings in his team and know in what bracket he actually is and will adapt his expectations. If you're good, you'll end up in the Very high bracket in no time soon anyway and you will notice it. Bads will stay at the beginners/normal bracket. I played HoN for over 2 years, went over 1900+ mmr (represented maybe 2% of the Hon community at the time...), I went through EVERY bracket so I know what I'm talking about.

As for my dota 2 main account, it has 600 wins and is in the very high bracket. I created a fresh one 2 weeks ago, have just over 60 wins and I only end up with/against people with 450-1000+ wins. A clear MMR really isn't needed. It brings way more RAGE and SELFISHNESS than anythign else.
    Yeh, this is great, but how did you get the information about you being in "very high bracket" and what does that technically mean? How many other players are in "very high brackets"? If I state that, for instance, 80% of the players are in these "very high brackets", can you provide some evidence that I am wrong?

Are you sure this is not your assumption?
    Are you using some indirect indications of that? Are you happy about being forced to use these ones?
    Wouldn't you like to know your exact standing in relation to the rest of the players? In relation to your friends?

I also would like to notice I'm not the guy to blame others each game. Pretty sure I'm having like a 15 games losestream right now, and I completely understand that happened due to my own low performance. One of few reasons for that is my low motivation which is partly reasoned by the subject of this topic. I feel kinda blind, not knowing how much do I actually win or lose each game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangr View Post
    They don't want to reveal the current system because it rewards carrying and having good stats much more than taking it for the team.
    This is exactly wrong, that is not how current mmr works.

Please stop trying to deviate, thanks.
    Last edited by soprof; 07-19-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    -Thomas Reid

I'm indifferent, to be honest. MMR ranking provides on practical expectation for how someone will perform on any given hero they may choose so I'm not sure what the value of it would be.

A guy may be 1400MMR on Invoker but the other team picked Invoker so that same guy decides instead to "try out" his 700MMR Naga Siren that he hasn't played in 6 months. Can't predict that and nor can matchmaking.

I don't see adding ranking being a bad thing; I just don't think it will provide anyone with any meaningful information. There are too many parts to the equation of how good someone is with a pool of 100+ heroes to provide a single number that reflects how you can expect them to perform with any hero they may choose in such a large pool.