Thread: Can you transfer windows installation to mac?

Basic Member

Can you transfer windows installation to mac?

Is it possible to transfer the dota 2 folder to mac without having to re-download?

Basic Member
    I think so, the VPK files, which make up the vast majority of the game's size, should be the same across all the platforms. It'll probably have to download a little bit to round it off, but in theory it should work for nearly all of it.

i dont see why not. Dota 2 test got updated for linux/mac only and windows user still had to download it.

Basic Member
    The versions are actually different, at least they have different files. You can try to copy Win version and let Steam to handle the difference, however I would not expect it to be so easy.
    Screen Shot 2013-07-24 at 6.52.20 PM.png

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPzzz View Post
    The versions are actually different, at least they have different files. You can try to copy Win version and let Steam to handle the difference, however I would not expect it to be so easy.
    Screen Shot 2013-07-24 at 6.52.20 PM.png
    The binaries are different, but the VPKs are the same. That folder is tiny compared to all the VPKs under the Dota directory.

Basic Member
    I do that all the time. I copied the whole /steam/steamApps/ from my windows to ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/