Thread: -disablehelp List

Basic Member

-disablehelp List

Since this comes up every now and then, I decided to make a list. This list is current based on the JASS as of 6.78c, and is complete to the best of my knowledge. Note that some spells on this list will prevent you from casting the spell at all, while others will consume the spell's cool down and mana cost without having any effect instead. In a few cases, this is an Engine Limitation; in others, it's Icefrog being lazy or something.

Force (Force Staff) (wastes spell)
    Destroying or taking their owned Items
    X Marks the Spot
    Test of Faith (wastes spell)
    Holy Persuasion (wastes spell) (because of old behavior, no longer relevant)
    Sprout (does not block ground casting)
    Recall
    Nightmare (does not prevent you from receiving it from a unit you attack)
    Bloodrage
    Astral Imprisonment
    Disruption
    Relocate
    Snowball
    "Petrify" (...ignore this)

Nothing else should be affected.
    Pfft...just goes to show that whenever I'm lazy or forgetful, someone else does my job better. :33
    Last edited by imxtrabored; 07-29-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Out of my head
    Astra Inprisonment, Disruption, X Marks The Spot, Recall, Snowball, Bloodrage, Relocate, Nightmare and Sprout are uncastable.

Test Of Faith and Force Staff go to waste, while ToF is because of Icefrog being lazy or something and Force Staff is from engine limitation. Though both are fixed in Dota2.

Toss had some interaction with disablehelp, too, but I don't quite remember how it was. In Dota2, Toss ignores disablehelp |||E: nevermind this.

Some spells people keep reporting - which aren't disabled by disablehelp in DotA1 either - are Swap, Purification and Repel. Other spells not disabled are Decrepify, Dark Rift, Cold Embrace, Purifying Flames, Boulder Smash and Ethereal Blade.

Green = Disabled in Dota2
    Red = Not disabled in Dota2
    Grey = Not in Dota2 yet
    Last edited by bu3ny; 07-29-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    Please, just call me buny.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bu3ny View Post
    Out of my head
    Astra Inprisonment, Disruption, X Marks The Spot, Recall, Snowball, Bloodrage, Relocate, Nightmare and Sprout are uncastable.

Test Of Faith and Force Staff go to waste, while ToF is because of Icefrog being lazy or something and Force Staff is from engine limitation. Though both are fixed in Dota2.

Toss had some interaction with disablehelp, too, but I don't quite remember how it was. In Dota2, Toss ignores disablehelp

Some spells people keep reporting - which aren't disabled by disablehelp in DotA1 either - are Swap, Purification and Repel. Other spells not disabled are Decrepify, Dark Rift, Cold Embrace, Purifying Flames, Boulder Smash and Ethereal Blade.

Green = Disabled in Dota2
    Red = Not disabled in Dota2
    Grey = Not in Dota2 yet
    I don't think toss has any interaction with disablehelp.

Volunteer Moderator
    Also I don't think snowball's disable help is in dota 2 yet... Well it wasn't last time I checked.

Yes, I marked it red.
    Please, just call me buny.

Volunteer Moderator
    And tether should be on your list :P Tether is blocked in dota 2.

Basic Member
    I have no idea how Icefrog decides what should and shouldn't count for -disablehelp...

I mean, Toss and Meat Hook have obvious gameplay issues, Tether is purely beneficial, Repel is purely hardcoced, and Decrepify was purely hardcoded up until very recently, so those get a pass. But Nether Swap, Dark Rift, and Sunder have obvious major griefing potential, and Chilling Touch might be bad in some weird situations. None of the new heroes have -disablehelp working for their Cold Embrace, Boulder Smash, Geomagnetic Grip, Fate's Edict, or Purifying Flames, which have various obvious detrimental effects on allies. It's easy to just Boulder Smash to kick your teammates into enemies, or Fate's Edict your ally as Slardar is chasing them or something. Icefrog hasn't forgotten about -disablehelp judging by the fact that a prototype Kaolin skill checks for it, so why these skills are excluded is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by imxtrabored View Post
    I have no idea how Icefrog decides what should and shouldn't count for -disablehelp...

I mean, Toss and Meat Hook have obvious gameplay issues, Tether is purely beneficial, Repel is purely hardcoced, and Decrepify was purely hardcoded up until very recently, so those get a pass. But Nether Swap, Dark Rift, and Sunder have obvious major griefing potential, and Chilling Touch might be bad in some weird situations. None of the new heroes have -disablehelp working for their Cold Embrace, Boulder Smash, Geomagnetic Grip, Fate's Edict, or Purifying Flames, which have various obvious detrimental effects on allies. It's easy to just Boulder Smash to kick your teammates into enemies, or Fate's Edict your ally as Slardar is chasing them or something. Icefrog hasn't forgotten about -disablehelp judging by the fact that a prototype Kaolin skill checks for it, so why these skills are excluded is beyond me.
    I think it's quite obvious. Nether Swap can be used to rescue Venge. For example, swapping with an invis Gondar can easily safe your ass (if they got no gem), causing you to survive. -disablehelp could therefore even end in a grief from him.
    The same with Sunder. Not being able to Sunder your ally, especially if you're not aware of it, could kill you.
    Dark Rift: probably to avoid people to suddenly disable help while the entire enemy team thinks you're porting away or something. This is quite discussable though.
    If you think I've closed or deleted a post unjustified, feel free to PM me and I'll explain it to you/discuss it with you further.

Basic Member
    I guess for Toss and Hook, the implications of being able to voluntarily opt out of the targetting scheme could be abused in some situations, especially with hook depending on implementation. If you can always make sure you toss the enemy instead of the ally if both of them are in melee range due to disable help for example, it's an advantage. I guess for hook the way it'd work would be to simply cancel the hook so that'd work ok, but maybe it's just too annoying to code properly without making the hook simply go through you(like a catapult) which would then create an exploitable situation(fake blocking hooks to make them look like they'll miss).

It is interesting that none of the new heroes have disable help though, as they're very grief friendly. Maybe next patch? They probably won't be added for a while anyway, there's still a bunch of older heroes to add so he'll have time to fix it if needed.