Thread: Nether Strike not bashing invulnerable units

Basic Member

Nether Strike not bashing invulnerable units

From what I remember, Spirit Breaker was able to Nether Strike Puck out of Phase Shift in DotA, and posts on playdota would suggest that it is the same against other like spells, e.g., Astral Imprisonment, Ball Lightning. Nether Strike is completely evaded by these spells in Dota 2.

Is this still the case in DotA? The posts are a few years old, and also mention being able to Nether Strike while hexed, so before Nether Strike gave magic immunity I assume (though it seems in Dota 2 he can still bash while disabled during the spell).

You remember wrong. Nether Strike has no effect on invulnerable units. Bara just blinks to them and that's it.
    Please, just call me buny.

Basic Member
    Aha!

Apparently someone went and tested Nether Strike against a whole bunch of different spells a while ago.

Also, Enfeeble completely blocks it as well in Dota 2. Not even a bash. From the video, it appeared that there was not a single spell that prevented the bash, though there are some odd interections (especially Time Walk).

Basic Member
    The forced movement from the bash causes Puck's Phase Shift to end early, but the damage is prevented regardless, from what I can make out on that video.
    It seems to be the case with almost all of them, the forced movement still occurs as it's simply a trigger that runs over time, hence while the damage is prevented by whatever temporary invulnerability the hero uses, the stun and movement still goes through. (Well, I'm guessing it's a 'fake' stun by continuous unit position change)

It's kind of mostly a problem due to how forced movement is handled in Dota 1 and Dota 2. In Dota 2, it is only applied once together with the spells (de)buff, which is prevented by invulnerability and can be overwritten by other effects. On the other hand in Dota 1 it'll simply attempt to move the unit whenever it can (probably every 0.03125 seconds) and even if other effects are interfering it'll still do it's own movement, and similarly invulnerability is generally ignored as it doesn't act through buffs.

I'm not really sure what's Valve take on it is, as the whole thing with forced movement effects overwriting each other has been around for ages and they've not done anything to address it.

In this case it should be made to cancel Puck's Phase Shift though, you don't need to completely re-do movement effects to fix that.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Habile View Post
    Aha!

Apparently someone went and tested Nether Strike against a whole bunch of different spells a while ago.

Also, Enfeeble completely blocks it as well in Dota 2. Not even a bash. From the video, it appeared that there was not a single spell that prevented the bash, though there are some odd interections (especially Time Walk).
    The video is from 2009.
    It has been changed since then. It won't affect invulnerable or hidden units now.
    Last edited by crinckle; 07-27-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Basic Member
    ^"a while ago"=4 years? damn, my life is barely several whiles.

Basic Member
    And you've been a member here for almost half a while!

I've been playing since 2005, so I guess it doesn't seem like that long ago since Nether Strike was able to hit invulnerable targets. =(
    Ah well. Thanks for the heads up that it's changed!