Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [Suggestion] You set the search range

[Suggestion] You set the search range

Pretty much the title and i won't go far in it cause it's obvious and not troll threads have a tendency to be ignored, but different people willing to wait different amount for games and have different expectations.

This is the only way to satisfy tryhard , average , and "don't care" players and anyone who is in between.

I always thought widening search range potentially resulting in irrelevant rating is a bad way to do it, also people have no idea how balanced game they got.

The approach that you want to play a game once searching no matter what doesn't work for many dota players, some only willing to play if the game is likely worthwhile, and even assuming that current system caters to the widest range of players, it's still a mistake if it can work for all.

That's something I expected a long time ago, but it never came. In addition, change the search range from a "bar" to a percentage or value of maximum difference.
    If you think I've closed or deleted a post unjustified, feel free to PM me and I'll explain it to you/discuss it with you further.

+1 to this idea

add the ability to set search range,but keep an option for auto search range by default

Basic Member
    +1

If people experience how hard it is for MM to find a truly balanced game, they will choose themselves to have more skill variance, and because it was their own decision, they will be more forgiving.

Basic Member
    This is pretty much what I was trying to say here: thread. I doubt Valve will implement this, though.

Basic Member
    +1

This is what I've been thinking of recently. A left-right scroll where you can set if you want a quick match up (wider range) or an accurate match up.

Anyway, the main issue keeps being how the system rates each players. Now, even getting a game in the first 5 sec of seach (which should be a really thin range of player pool) doesnt mean being paired with players of your same exprience level.

This is how HoN does it: faster queue on the far left, closer skill on the far right. I don't see any downside to this, but I'm sure a Valve Knight will come up with one.
    We need a player review system like Overwatch for DotA 2. Get real people to judge communication abuse, intentional skill abuse, and intentional feeding.

merci fenix

Quote Originally Posted by erik-the-red View Post
    This is how HoN does it: faster queue on the far left, closer skill on the far right. I don't see any downside to this, but I'm sure a Valve Knight will come up with one.
    The madness is strong with this one.

ontopic: +1, should be easy to implement, but will probably never happen ):
    why are you still playing ranked?

Basic Member
    +1

Might happen but probably won't because 5 second queue times take priority over balanced games.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
    +1

This is what I've been thinking of recently. A left-right scroll where you can set if you want a quick match up (wider range) or an accurate match up.

Anyway, the main issue keeps being how the system rates each players. Now, even getting a game in the first 5 sec of seach (which should be a really thin range of player pool) doesnt mean being paired with players of your same exprience level.
    They don't select xp level, they select skill level :P